The much anticipated Senate omnibus transportation funding bill--Senate Bill 1184--is now available to review online. The bill will be up for hearing in the Senate Transportation Committee on Thursday, March 16 at 1 p.m.
Major provisions of the bill include:
- Authorizing up to $300 million in GARVEE bonds for road and bridge construction projects on state highways and freeways.
- Authorizing up to $200 million in bonding authority for road and bridge construction projects that improve safety, enhance economic development and reduce congestion, with 60% for projects on the state system and 40% for projects by cities, counties and highway districts.
- Reauthorizing the state surplus eliminator for five years, and providing that revenues will be split 60% to the state and 40% to local highway jurisdictions (cities, counties and highway districts). This revenue will fund road and bridge construction projects.
- Exempting from sales tax materials used for road construction projects.
- Eliminates the current 5% share of Highway Distribution Account revenues for the Idaho State Police (ISP), and gives ISP dedicated state sales tax revenue. Highway Distribution Account revenues will be split 60% to the Idaho Transportation Department and 40% to local highway jurisdictions.
- A 1% local option sales tax for counties to levy for specific transportation projects.
- The Office of Performance Evaluation will conduct an independent evaluation of the Local Highway Technical Assistance Council.